5 Treatments For Dental Fear and Anxiety
Fear of pain is enough to keep many people from visiting the dentist, even in emergency cases. Dental anxiety is a reality and because your smile is important to us, at Hyde Park Dental Care we have found trusted solutions to work around your phobia by developing virtually pain-free dentistry in Sydney.
Signs of dental phobia:
- Experiencing heightened anxiety while waiting to see the dentist
- Makingevery excuse possible to avoid seeing the dentist
- Sleepless nights before visiting the dentist
- Inability to eat or think rationally before your dental appointment
- Anoverall crippling fear by the mere thought of a dental check-up or procedure
Pain-Free Dentistry in Sydney
Led by Dr Joffe, our relaxing approach to dentistry is meant to make you feel comfortable while you are on the dentist’s chair. Our pain-free options are:
Option 1: The Wand
If the source of your anxiety stems from the pain that is caused by an injection, we have just the solution for you. The Wand is a computer controlled painless injection that regulates the amount of anaesthesia and the pressure in which it is administered. A common misconception is that the piercing of the needle is the main cause of pain, when usually it is the pressure and amount of anaesthetic that is released into your gum that causes pain. When using The Wand, a computer controls the flow and pressure of the anaesthetic, thus virtually eliminating pain.
Sedatives can be taken in two ways: orally or through an IV
Option 2: Oral sedatives
This is taken in a form of a pill, about an hour before the dental procedure. The sedative will make you drowsy but you will be awake. Some people may enter the first stage of sleep which is light sleep that they can be easily awakened from.
Advantages of oral sedatives
- The pill is easy to take
- It does not involve needles
- It is safe
- You will still be responsive but relaxed
Option 3: IV sedation
This form of sedation generally works faster than oral sedation as the medication is transferred through your vein.
- Deeper sedative
- Works faster than the pill form
- The dosage can be adjusted by us
- There’s a shorter recovery time in comparison to the pill form
Option 4: Topical sedation
Available in gel, liquid, ointment and aerosols forms – this type of sedation is used to numb the discomfort caused by needles. It is effective when the piercing is about 3 mm deep.
Speak to us about your fears and concerns, and we will find an option that is suitable for you. Each technique offers different levels of sedation which are:
- Minimal Sedation: In this case you are awake and relaxed
- Moderate Sedation: In this case you are conscious but not entirely awake
- Deep Sedation – In between being awake and asleep
- General anaesthesia – Completely asleep
Option 5: We understand that medication may not always work for everyone. Our natural methods are also aimed to help you relax.
· Physical relaxation techniques including correct body posture and breathing techniques
· Soothing music
· The option to watch DVD’s whilst receiving your dental treatment
If you experience anxiety when visiting the dentist, take a look at our range of pain-free and relaxation dentistry options here at Hyde Park Dental Care in Sydney today!